Pages

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

CSA Box Week 14...and freezing veggies

I've been on vacation and now back! It's been a while since I posted so here's this week's veggie box. From my last box I received (Week 12), I blanched and froze some of my veggies such as corn, kale, and swiss chard to eat them for later in the winter. I certainly wish I could eat them fresh, but this is the next best option since I couldn't finish them, plus I wanted to enjoy some summer veggies during the winter months. As I was preparing for freezing, I felt like a bear, getting ready for hibernation and storing extra food away. :) Here's a link on freezing vegetables - it has an easy to read table listing the length of time to blanch each type of vegetable. When trying to remove all of that air from the plastic bag, one trick is to seal up the bag except a small area. Insert a small straw there and inhale the air out of the bag.

Here's this week's box of food (1 and a half times my normal food box size):

Week 14 - double box (Sept 19 2010)

Week 14 - double box (Sept 19 2010)

Here are some of the dishes I made:

sauteed iceberg lettuceCorn Chowder
sauteed iceberg lettucecorn chowder
eggplant with spicy peanut sauceChocolate zucchini bread
eggplant and peppers with spicy peanut sauceChocolate zucchini bread
Zucchini FrittataGarlic Bread
zucchini frittatagarlic bread

No comments:

Post a Comment