Pages

Sunday, August 15, 2010

CSA Box Week 9 and thoughts!

It's halfway into the summer session, and I gotta say, I'm loving my CSA box. I'm pretty new to it - the first time I participated was last fall & winter for 5-6 weeks. So 9 weeks is long time for me. There was a time where I asked myself, Am I going to be able to eat up my vegetables every week? And then, there was a time where I did inevitably fall behind and my fridge was stuffed with 1 and 1/2 weeks of veggies. Yikes! Besides a couple of these lapses for me, I have thoroughly enjoyed being part of a CSA, especially this one, where choosing the specific produce I want allows me to ultimately almost never leave any of my veggies sitting alone in my fridge and making a trip to the garbage/compost bin.

My comfort cooking is asian cuisine, so these last year or two has made me expand my cooking across several cuisines (american, indian, italian, and mexian), and has made me explore new vegetables and ways of cooking. I found myself asking these silly questions - How do I cook fava beans? Wow yellow and purple beans exist (and purple carrots)!? Ah this what rhubarb looks like!

Every week now I'm looking forward to getting my CSA box, filling up my fridge with wonderful organically and locally grown food, and satiating myself with goodness! The only routine is picking up the box - everything else is up to you to make magical, delicious, wholesome meals in the comfort of your home.

Here's my week 9 veggies and fruits -

Week 9 (Aug 15 2010)

Here are the dishes I made with these items:

Vegetarian EnchiladaBeets and Beet Greens Risotto
enchilada!Beets and Beet Greens Risotto
Tofu Bim Bim Bap Lettuce and potato soup
Bim bim baplettuce potato soup
Steamed pattypan squashRoasted Cauliflower
Steamed Squash

No comments:

Post a Comment